The first Institute was built in 1884, Once it was closed it was used for a shop and now is the Anglican Church.
In 1912 the present Institute was built from stone quarried from Marner’s quarry in the Wirrabara Forest. In 1974 the Seniors Citizens built another hall and new kitchen which was attached to the institute hall, making a great complex.
Over the 100 years the Institute has been the hub of the Town with many residents hiring it for balls, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, dances, theatre productions, indoor sports, aerobics, auction sales and general meetings.
On the 25th August 2012 the Institute celebrated its 100th birthday and the 100th Wattle Ball. What an achievement.
The Institute is owned by the District Council of Mount Remarkable and run by a committee of volunteers.
The Library first began in the old institute and was moved into a room in the present one when built in 1912.
In 1961 The Wirrabara Memorial committee donated money to the Institute committee to build a separate room with memorial windows in it to acknowledge those who had served for their country.
Originally all the books came up by train from the Institute Association and residents paid a small subscription to be able to borrow books and to read the newspapers which were purchased. As funds became available the library started to purchase some of their own books.
Today the library is owned by the Institute and is run by volunteers. There is still a small subscription to help towards to cost of running the Library.